Kanchenjunga Base Camp Trek
Kanchenjunga (8586m), ‘The Five Great Treasure Houses of Snow’, is the world’s third highest mountain and is situated in the Kanchenjunga Conservation Area, an area that comprises pristine forests, alpine meadows and high altitude wetlands alongside this magnificent and spectacular Himalayan massif.
The mountain forms Nepal’s eastern border with Sikkim and this region is one of the least populated in Nepal. You will trek up through lush, green, semi-tropical Rai and Limbu villages in the mid hills, and remote Tibetan villages higher up in the semi arid plateaus at the foot of the mountain.
This circular trek takes you up through lush valleys full of seasonal flowers that receive the heaviest monsoon rains throughout the Himalayan range, north into spectacular high alpine landscapes full of woodlands and mountain streams. You will then trek up over high passes to both Kanchenjunga Base Camp and Ramche Yalung Base Camp, before heading back down again to lower elevations and returning to the trek’s start point at Taplejung.
- Day 1: Arrival in Nepal and passport to Himalayan Quests
- Day 2: Trek briefing and preparation
- Day 3: Flight Kathmandu to Badrapur – Drive to Taplejung (1820m)
- Day 4: Taplejung – Mitlung (921m) 5-6 hours
- Day 5: Mitlung – Chiruwa (1270m) 5-6 hours
- Day 6: Chiruwa – Sukethum (1579m) 5 hours
- Day 7: Sukethum – Amjlosa (2308m) 6 hours
- Day 8: Amjilosa – Gyabla (2730m) 5-6 hours
- Day 9: Gyabla – Ghunsa (3595m) 5-6 hours
- Day 10: Ghunsa rest/acclimatization day
- Day 11: Ghunsa – Khangpachen (4050m) 7 hours
- Day 12 : Khangpachen – Lhonak (4780m) 7 hours
- Day 13: Lhonak – Kanchenjunga Base Camp (5143m) 3 hours
- Day 14: Kanchenjunga Base Camp – Ghunsa (3595m) 8 hours
- Day 15: Ghunsa – Tseram (3870m) 8 hours
- Day 16: Tseram – Ramche (4580m) 7 – 8 hours
- Day 17: Ramche – Yalung Base Camp ( 4500m) 7-8 hours
- Day 18: Yalung Base Camp – Lapsang (4432m) 6 hours
- Day 19: Lapsang – Tortong (2995m)
- Day 20: Tortong – Yamphudim (2080m)
- Day 21: Yamphudim – Rest day
- Day 22: Yamphudim – Phumpe (1858m)
- Day 23: Ponphe – Pha Khola(1550m)
- Day 24: Pha Khola – Suketar (2420m)
- Day 25: Long Drive from Taplejung to Bhadrapur
- Day 26: Fly to Kathmandu
Note: The trek itinerary is a guide only and may be subject to change at short notice
A set of well-worn hiking boots, with a few pairs of good hiking socks are an absolute necessity. No technical experience or mountaineering gear is necessary. While porters will carry the majority of your luggage, you will need to bring a durable daypack to carry necessary items for quick access during the trek, such as water, waterproofs, toilet paper, camera, a warm layer, snacks etc.
A full kit list will be sent to you upon confirmation of your participation on the trek.