Island Peak, also known as Imja Tse (6189m) was first climbed in 1953 in preparation for the ascent on Everest. This is a very popular peak and apart from being an enjoyable climb, it has some of the most spectacular scenery of the Khumbu region. Island Peak is said to resemble an “Island in a sea of ice” and is actually an extension of the south ridge of Lhotse Shar. The mainland forms a semi-circle of cliffs that rise in the north to the rugged summits of Nuptse, Lhotse, Lhotse Middle Peak and Lhotse Shar. To the east lies Cho Polu and beyond this, the red granite Makalu and to the south, Baruntse, Amphu and the lofty Amadablam. Amadablam looks like a giant sea-stack guarding the entrance to the glacial bay where Island Peak stands.
Island Peak’s first route of ascent was the south-east flank and south-west ridge. The usual base camp site is between Imja Tse and the moraine of the Imja glacier. The west face also offers a good route.
- Day 1 : Trek briefing and preparation day
- Day 2 : Fly to Lukla (2886m), trek to Phakding (2640m)
- Day 3 : Trek Phakding to Namche Bazaar (3440m)
- Day 4 : Acclimatisation day in Namche Bazaar and local excursion
- Day 5 : Trek Namche Bazaar to Tengboche (3870m)
- Day 6 : Trek from Tengboche to Pheriche (4243m)
- Day 7 : Acclimatisation day in Pheriche
- Day 8 : Trek from Pheriche to Lobuche (4910)
- Day 9 : Trek from Lobuche to Gorakshep (5160m) and then on to Base Camp (5486m)
- Day 10 : Trek from Gorakshep to Kalapatthar (5545m) for sunrise and down to Lobuche (4910m)
- Day 11 : Trek from Lobuche to Chhukung (4730m)
- Day 12 : Trek from Chhukung to Island Peak Base Camp (5087m)
- Day 13 : Trek from Base Camp to High Camp (5640m)
- Day 14 : Summit Island Peak (6189m) and back to Base Camp
- Day 15 : Trek Base Camp to Dingboche (4410m)
- Day 16 : Trek Dingboche to Tengboche (3870m)
- Day 17 : Trek Tengboche to Monjo (2810m)
- Day 18 : Trek Monjo to Lukla (2886m)
- Day 19 : Early morning flight back to Kathmandu
Note: The trek itinerary is a guide only and may be subject to change at short notice.