Manaslu Circuit Trek
The Manaslu Circuit Trek over the Larky La Pass is one of Nepal’s best kept secrets. Following remote trails which are little touched by the modern world and which see relatively few visitors throughout the year, it offers beautiful views of the Himalayan range, with the magnificent Manaslu (8163m), the eighth highest mountain in the world almost in the palm of your hand.
This trek will take you through small villages and settlements of different Himalayan ethnic groups, from Brahmin, Chhetri, Tamang, Magar, Gurung and Tibetan. Just as diverse as the ethnic population, so too the scenery varies from the lush, low elevation valleys growing rice and bananas, inhabited predominantly by the Hindu ethnic groups of Indo-Aryan origin, through rhododendron and bamboo forests, where you begin to encounter communities of Tibeto-Burmese origin who practice Hinduism, Buddhism or a mixture of both. As you continue up, you will trek through delightful alpine meadows and small, typical Tibetan villages in the Nubri Valley, which cluster beneath Manaslu’s sweeping North Face.
The region shelters endangered animals such as snow leopard, red pandas and blue sheep – especially in the northern reaches as Buddhist Tibetans prohibit the killing of animals.
- Day 1: Arrival in Nepal and passport to Himalayan Quests
- Day 2: Trek briefing and preparation
- Day 3: Bus or jeep to Arugath, change to jeeps to Arkhet. Camp in Arkhet Bazar (760m)
- Day 4: Trek to Lapubesi (884m), approx 4hrs
- Day 5: Trek to Tatopani village (930m), approx 5/7hrs
- Day 6: Trek to Jagat (1410m), approx 5/8hrs
- Day 7: Trek to Philim (1590m), approx 3 hrs
- Day 8: Trek to Deng (1800m), approx 4.5 hrs
- Day 9: Trek to Namrung (2660m), approx 7/8 hrs
- Day 10: Trek to Lho (3180m), approx 4.5hrs
- Day 11: Trek to Samagaun (3530m), approx 4hrs
- Day 12: Rest day with optional day hikes
- Day 13: Trek to Samdo (3860m), approx 3hrs
- Day 14: Trek to Dharmasala (4480m), approx 3hrs
- Day 15: Trek to Larky La Pass (5100m) and descent to Bhimtang (3720m), approx 9hrs
- Day 16: Trek to Tilije (2300m), approx 7hrs
- Day 17: Trek to Jagat (1300m) , approx 6hrs
- Day 18: Trek to Bulbule (840m), approx 6hrs and drive to Besi Sahar (760m)
- Day 19: Drive to Kathmandu by bus/car, approx 6hrs
Note: The trek itinerary is a guide only and may be subject to change at short notice.
A set of well-worn hiking boots, with a few pairs of good hiking socks are an absolute necessity. No technical experience or mountaineering gear is necessary. While porters will carry the majority of your luggage, you will need to bring a durable daypack to carry necessary items for quick access during the trek, such as water, waterproofs, toilet paper, camera, a warm layer, snacks etc.
A full kit list will be sent to you upon confirmation of your participation on the trek.